What is the da Vinci Surgical System?
The da Vinci Surgical System is an advanced robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgical system that allows the surgeons at South Bay Urology to perform minimally-invasive surgeries with smaller, more precise hand movements. Using this robotic-assisted technology, our surgeons can:
- get a 3D, high-definition, magnified view inside the body with the help of a laparoscope (a thin tube with a tiny camera and light at the end)
- use wristed instruments that bend and rotate far great than the human hand (270 degrees of rotation)
As a result, da Vinci enables us to operate with enhanced vision, precision and control. The da Vinci System represents the latest in surgical and robotic technologies. We are 100% in control of the da Vinci System at all times. da Vinci technology translates our hand movements into smaller, precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body.
Which surgeries can be performed with da Vinci?
At South Bay Urology in Torrance, California, we use robotic-assisted technology to perform:
- Prostatectomy for prostate cancer
- Simple prostatectomy for BPH
- Partial nephrectomy for kidney disease and/or cancer
- Pyeloplasty to surgically remove urinary obstructions
- Bladder diverticulectomy
- Bladder reconstruction
- Sacrocolpopexy for vaginal vault prolapse
How does da Vinci robotic-assisted surgery work?
What are the benefits for patients?
As an alternative to open surgery and laparoscopy, the da Vinci Surgical System only requires a few incisions. This allows you to recovery sooner and get back to your daily routine much faster.
Additional benefits include:
- Reduced pain
- A lower risk of infection or complications
- Less blood loss (fewer transfusions)
- A shorter stay at the hospital
- Less scarring due to the smaller incisions
- Less risk of urinary incontinence
- Preservation of sexual function
Why choose SBU for your robotic surgery?
Dr. Matsunaga started the robotic surgical programs at both Torrance Memorial Medical Center and Providence Little Company of Mary, Torrance in the summer of 2006. Surgeon experience is the most important predictor of a successful surgical outcome. The surgeons at SBU have a combined experience of over 30 years and 2,000 robotic surgical cases.
Schedule an appointment in Southern California
At South Bay Urology in Torrance, California, our providers have the technology and expertise to perform the most advanced and delicate procedures. If you suffer from prostate cancer, kidney disease or urinary obstructions, we can provide treatment you need with this amazing technology. Minimally-invasive surgery means less pain, a shorter stay at the hospital and fewer complications. To find out if you are a candidate for robot-assisted surgery, fill out our appointment request form or give us a call at (310) 542-0199 to schedule your appointment.